Ingredients and Additives
An ingredient (Salt, Spices, food coloring’s, preservatives, flavorings, additives and food enzymes) is any substance or product used in the manufacturing process but still present in the finished product as such or in an altered form.
Food additives are non-avoidable and essential in today’s complex global food supply chain. Food Additives maintain the qualities and characteristics of food that consumers demand, ensures it remains safe, nutritious and appetizing in the process from “farm to fork.”
The use of additives are strictly regulated and must be proven utility, safe for consumption and not misleading to the consumer.
Tamilnadu Test House provides analyses for quantification of almost all the ingredients,additives including colours, preservatives, flavour and any product enhancers.
Commonly tested ingredients and additives include:
- Aminoacids (carnitine, choline, taurine, creatinine)
- Preservatives (sulfur dioxide, sorbic acid and benzoic acid, parabens, propionic acid)
- Antioxidants (BHT , BHA, gallates, resveratrol, isoflavones, phytosterols)
- Sweeteners (aspartame , saccharin, cyclamate)
- Dyes (natural – carotenoids, beta -carotene, lutein, curcumin , astaxanthin, canthaxanthin, artificial colorings)
- Acidulants (lactic, citric, tartaric)
- Other additives (phosphates, glutamates, propylene glycol, vanillin , alcohols, Pimaricin, natamycin, nisin, nucleotides)